22nd March 2015
Malcolm Gladwell on the importance of stubbornness
A very interesting speech of Malcolm Gladwell on stubbornness in below YouTube video. Dead link.
Video is here:
Conference: Genius in 2012
He makes references to
- Linear B, i.e., historic greek symbols
- Michael Ventris, deciphering Linear B
- Andrew Wiles and his proof for Fermat's Last Theorem, no integer solutions \(a,b,c\) for \(a^n+b^n=c^n\), \(n>2\)
- Gerhard Frey, linking Taniyama–Shimura conjecture and Fermat's Last Theorem
- the mismatch problem, i.e., finding the right personnel for a task given only information on some predictors, e.g., IQ-tests, height, grades, etc.
- the capitalization problem, i.e., making full use of the potential of personnel, and not squandering talent
Also see Malcolm Gladwell's article on the Flynn effect: What I.Q. doesn’t tell you about race.
Categories: history, sociology
Author: Elmar Klausmeier