, 1 min read
Performance Remarks on PublicoMag Website
Publico is a German political magazine published by Alexander Wendt. The website is using WordPress and hosted on Cloudflare. Webserver is NGINX.
Below is an analysis conducted via pingdom.com. Page in question is Inspiration als Energiequelle: Neues vom grünen Hauptmann von Köpenick.
It clearly shows the following things, which can be optimized:
- Very large page size.
- High number of requests, although the magazine contains lots of images.
- Lots of webfonts loaded, contributing more than 10% of the entire page size.
- Lots of CSS loaded making almost 10% of the entire website.
Load time is acceptable in Frankfurt, though, clearly it could be way better.
Below waterfall diagram in Google Chrome shows, where time is spent, same page as above.
Again, CSS loading is on the critical path, so are webfonts.
Looking at the waterfall diagram many remedies are simple:
- Possibly replace webfonts with system-fonts.
- Possibly switching to a static site generator like Simplified Saaze.
- Change jpg images to webp images.